Friday, September 28, 2012

Israel and Palestine should start considering a one state solution


Like any relationship, be it marriage or a business, any form of partnership requires a level of trust but more important compromise. We can`t always get what we want else this world would be chaotic, so the way to live in peace is to give some in order to get some. It`s not what we like to do or hear as human beings are inherently selfish but it’s a  way of resolving issues and living in harmony.

Take Sudan and South Sudan for example, they went to war, tried obliterating each other, insulted each other to get their way but look at the two now! They have agreed on oil exports from South Sudan, a demilitarized zone and cessation of hostilities .(http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/south-sudan-and-sudan-agree-on-oil-but-not-on-border-or-contested-area-of-abyei/2012/09/27/491c3174-0917-11e2-9eea-333857f6a7bd_story.html) Both parties finally understood that they can`t go on fighting forever! 21 years of war was a good enough price, and now it’s time to build and not to keep tearing down.  They do have more issues they need to tackle, specifically the Abyei region, but at least they have started somewhere and that gives many people hope. Let`s hope implementing the agreement will not be a hurdle.

That said, I think it`s time for Israel and Palestine to consider a one state (Secular) solution. They can share Jerusalem and everything else they deem ok, so that this enmity can end once and for all. But even as I speak of such, and I ask the two nations to consider this path, I paused for a minute today morning and wondered if I were in their shoes, would a one state solution work for me? Would I be ok sharing my country say for example with (just an example) our Somali neighbors should they say that the Northern part of my country belongs to them? The fears are real; if they come in, they might decide at some point that Kenya should become a Muslim state and we`d all be forced to adhere to their principle or they might decide that women should only be seen and not heard…..the list is endless.  I wondered though if I experienced the bloodshed and the chaos, the insecurity and instability that comes with having two nations fighting, if I’d be ok with a one state solution and the truth is still NO! No way would I be ok with this.

Thus even as I advocate for the one state solution, I understand the difficulty that comes with it. The trust element that would be tested greatly and the fears that are all too real for any outsider to understand; yet all this should be done in context. I know even though I would detest the idea, deep down the price of peace would be worth sharing my country. I know I would constantly be afraid of the eventuality…….. always looking out and not easily trusting the “outsiders” but for the sake of peace, for the sake of my children to get the opportunities I would not have gotten, I might just chose to compromise.

Ultimately I believe it’s for each to look inside themselves and take a chance. The leaders might not, but the people need to move on with their lives. Enough of politics…..buuuuuuuuuut with Iran on the other side…hmmm external influences ……tricky….but life is about taking a chance and we all live once….! So Israel and Palestine take a chance; compromise if you must!

Bogonko

3 comments:

  1. Maybe we should buy some islands from China and send Palestinians there to have their own country....just saying....They seem to have alot to dispose....

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it that the UN forced Sudan and South Sudan to deal with their issues or face sanctions and they can`t do the same for Israel and Palestine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trouble is, Jews need to represent an unequivocal majority in the land of Israel. The reason that so many Jews went to Israel to begin with was because of persecution in our previous countries. As Theodore Herzl noticed, in any country we're not the majority in, we always have faced persecution. That's why we needed an unequivocally Jewish state, and to allow the Arabs to have numerical or political advantage over us, all the Jewish people's sacrifices are wasted.

    And that will definitely happen again in Israel.In the British mandate for Palestiine, there was virtual civil war between Jews and Arabs. Most all Arabs hold huge resentment towards the Jews for winning wars of self defence.

    In my opinion, it would be better to evict all the Palestinians than to have a 1 state solution.

    ReplyDelete